Sunday, November 30, 2008

Fabric Dyeing and More


It's been days since I last posted! This week I dyed about 50 yards of fabric for a booth I'm manning at Charmar's, Gaines School Rd. in east Athens, GA. It's only three miles from our house and it's an antique/retro/art market with lots of great items...including mine! Come by for a visit.
Here are some of the pieces I've dyed so far. The best ones are still waiting to be pressed following their quick trip in the dryer.






The piece above was dyed with Procion MX dye in grape and Havana brown; I discovered these colors at a Judy Simmons dye class. Aren't they beautiful together?
The next two pieces were dyed together in the same bath, but were folded differently (the color difference is because of my flash not the dye).






I tried over-dyeing a couple of pieces with some leftover dye to see what would happen. The original piece is the white with a blue flower print...


Not a bad over-dye, but the blue flowers still show. If that's not the look for you, take a look at the back of that overdyed piece...

The back is absolutely beautiful and the floral print does not show through. Here's a photo of the same piece with a flash for more detail...

Here's another over-dye job. I found this fabric on the 40% off rack and didn't like the colors at all, but the batik fabrics are so wonderful to dye with that I purchased it. The original fabric is on the right. I dyed it with a mixture of mostly red and some leftover grape dye. Let's see how it turned out...

Yummy! I'll definitely use this "new" fabric. I'll post more dye photos soon.

1 comment:

Carol Sloan said...

I love the batik over dyed fabric! I'll have to try that. Hope to see you soon.