Saturday, November 1, 2008

Circle Quilt Beginnings, Yarn Fun

Today I sketched and then laid out the background for a blue, black and brown circle quilt. Using smallish pieces of fabric, I folded them as needed and pinned them to the design wall to check my colorways and layout.











I like the way it turned out. Now I'll cut these folded pieces into the correct sizes and sew them together as my background.

Today, Main Street Yarns in Watkinsville, GA had a grand opening for it's new yarn dyeing studio and offered demo's. The yarn was soaked in vinegar-water before dyeing, then we were able to dye a hank of yarn with acid dye and a sponge brush. It was then microwaved to set the color. After a good rinsing the yarn is hung out to dry. Beautiful!


These are some hunks of roving I purchased at the yarn shop today which I hope to used to make felted pin cushions. The dark ones are yummy merino wool, and I hope to dye the light one sometime in the near future.




My latest scarf is nearly finished. It's simple but the colors are beautiful and will go well with my winter coat. It's great to have a small project to work on in waiting rooms...my method of "recycling" otherwise wasted slots of time.




1 comment:

Mai-Britt Axelsen said...

Love those blue fabrics and the yummy yarn, looking forward to following these projects.