Sunday, September 14, 2008

Using Tiny Scraps

This week I had an opportunity to help teach three art classes at Monsignor Donovan Catholic High School in Athens, GA. Their teacher, Miss Bridges, and I decided to teach the teens how to embellish on fabric using Shiva Paintstiks. The students stenciled with commercial stencils, made some of their own, and then made torn paper mountains for stenciling. They also made rubbings using rubbing plates and stamps. Because Paintstiks are oil based they can be pretty messy...and a lot of creative fun.


Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of the students' work, but suffice it to say that Miss Bridges' classes did a fine job!


Today I'm working on pieces that are similar to those in the last blog. I'm using up scraps that came from the 9-patch and string pieced blocks and I'm making a tiny Chinese Coin piece. By sewing together some of the smaller scrap pieces, I'll be able to make another small wall hanging. Now I have to figure out how to put them together in a cohesive layout.
TTYL

No comments: