Saturday, December 12, 2009

Re-use, Recycle

My hip is getting better and I have been able to sew more easily this week. Yes!

Here's an update on the string quilt for my nephew AJ...

I keep thinking that it's nearly done and then I realize that it needs one more row.

While working on the string blocks, I have been compiling small centers for non-traditional log cabin blocks from the tiny scraps. I have about twice as many blocks started as you see on this wall below, so it's a good start to another quilt or two. My friend Frances says that these are called crumb quilt blocks in the UK. This is a wonderful way to recycle those tiny scraps because they are already color coordinated. Also, by making a log cabin block I can use the tiny pieces in the center and use larger leftover pieces as the block gets bigger. The smallest piece in these crumb blocks is about 1/2 inch wide.


Chain piecing the crumb blocks saves thread when, rather than cutting the thread after each of the string blocks, I chain piece crumb scraps to sew instead. The next string block is chained after a crumb. I can then trim off the regular block without wasting 3 or 4 inches of thread each time.



This week I went through the multitude of holiday catalogs that arrived in November. We never see most of these during the year, but come November they all find us. When time allows, I leaf through and cut out any photos that spawn ideas for quilts, color combinations, beading designs and felted pieces...then the paper is off to recycling.

1 comment:

Vicki W said...

I love those rich dark colors!