Saturday, December 20, 2008

Circle Quilt update

After a few days of straightening out my studio I finally spent all day today working on two circle quilts.

This quilt is finally sewn together and is ready for borders. I just love black and blue quilts and I'm pleased with the way this one turned out.

I also worked on this next circle quilt as a sample for a class I'm teaching in January. The background looked totally wrong, but I followed my instincts with color and layout and the result is...not bad.

This one is still in the design stages. The background blocks are sewn together (but not to each other) and are almost the way I want them. The bottom left circle is too big and the other circles are not sewn yet. I'll apply these circles using 4 or 5 different methods including needle-turn applique, fusing, and machine applique with two methods of shaping the circle. Students will be able to choose their method of circle application.

This particular quilt is also an example of using one fabric for all of the circles and different backgrounds. Reynola Pakusich's book, Circle Play: Simple Designs for Fabulous Fabrics, is loaded with design ideas and is the basis for the class I'm teaching.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Anita,
The quilts look great....you have been busy!!!!

Frances

Julie Bagamary said...

I like the samples. I wonder if it would help to possibly add another circle inside the big circle - maybe even some in and some outside?