Monday, August 29, 2011

TAP on Art Labels


Today I used TAP, Transfer Artist's Paper, to print and then transfer images and wording to would-be labels for my quilts.

It was a rough start as you can see from the sheet on the left, but it printed out correctly on the second try: (yes, I printed on paper first but still messed up)

With this type of transfer, the printing must be mirrored. Next, I transferred the print and image to a piece of fabric for my label...



I decided that, since I can easily hand stitch an applique circle, I would make the label in the shape of a circle for easy application. How many times have you made a square or rectangular label that was difficult to apply because of the corners? Yeah, me too. Had enough of that.

I have a 6" circle made of template plastic already, so I placed the plastic piece over the label fabric. It was then easy to mark a 1/4" circle around the 6" finished center for a seam allowance.


I cut out the circle on the marker line...


I'll use the needle-turn applique method to apply the label to the back of the quilt, so next I cut out a 6" circle of freezer paper. I pressed the waxy side of the freezer to the back of the circular label, making sure that it was centered.


When this label is attached to the quilt, I'll post another photo (that should be soon). Voila!

3 comments:

Vicki W said...

Just a note from my experience. I think this is a great product but you will likely find it not suitable for quilts that will be washed. I did some samples that were washed and the images did not hold up.

Frances Arnold said...

Round labels....what a great idea!!!

Deb Hardman said...

So smart!