Monday, August 4, 2008

Asheville Quilt Show






I try not to go this long without writing a blog entry, but we were in NC for the Asheville Quilt Show from Wednesday to Saturday (Aug. 2). On Sunday we picked up our soldier son, Bryan, in Atlanta as he arrived back in the States for the first time since his 15 month deployment to Afghanistan ended (that's my husband Bill on the left). All in all, it was a great weekend! Bry looks good, but he's lost a lot of weight.
Asheville was a lot of fun, especially since one of my two quilts won an award. This was my double-secret quilt for a couple of months, haha. It's called "For My Bry, I Pray for Peace"and is a photo of Bry in Afghanistan that I built a quilt around. The photo size is about 14" x 16" and is a photo transfer onto fabric. The award was a "Merit Award for Best Use of Photo Transfer". All of the background is fabric and the details are in paint and quilting. The rocks in the rock wall are many layers of fused fabric rocks to give that area dimension. The note in the sky is the actual wording from a note Bry left for me when he deployed: "Don't worry about me...I'll be home soon enough. I love you, Mom. Me". This art quilt was a lot of fun to make and the creativity came so easily while I was working on it. All of those PBS painting show tips came in handy when I needed them, too.



The second quilt I entered is called "Purple Heart Quilt of Valor", and as the name indicates, it is a Quilt of Valor for an injured U.S. warrior. There was no room at the show to have a QOV Foundation booth with information, so I printed up informational flyers and put a quilt in the show for exposure for this wonderful non-profit foundation (http://www.qovf.org/).


I'll probably write another blog today since there's more to tell. WTYL

1 comment:

Julie Bagamary said...

Praise GOD - Bryan is home! :)