Thursday, July 24, 2008

Hand Dyes are Heaven






Here's an excellent reason to learn how to hand-dye fabric... I have about 10" x 43" of sky in the quilt I'm currently working on. It all has to be basically the same color, but there has to be a minute difference between the fabrics in order for the string piecing to look good. Because I was able to hand-dye my fabrics, I have five shades in various gradations of the color I need. Is that cool or what?!
If you haven't tried "low-water immersion dyeing", it's fabulous...very little water is needed--3 cups total per yard of fabric, and no salt is needed. Ann Johnston's book , Color by Accident, is a wonderful resource for this type of dyeing. It takes some water to rinse the fabric out later, but I rinse a few times with a tub of water in my deep sink then toss it into the washer for three quick rinse-and-spins. Then a final washing with hot water and Synthrapol is all that's needed when I do it. ***In case you're wondering, we have a high-efficiency (low water use) washing machine, and it's plenty of water for rinsing these fabrics.
Be sure to follow ALL safety recommendations with MX dyes.
Gotta get back to it.
WTYL
Anita

No comments: