Here's a photo of a little red sample quilt top I made for my String Quilt Bloocks class last week. The design came from the book Liberated String Quilts by Gwen Marston, and it's my sample of how to combine traditional blocks and string blocks.
Yesterday I sketched the last part of the Afghanistan quilt (which is entered into the Asheville, NC Quilt Show, Aug. 1-3, 2008). Because the original photo did not include the lower half of my son's body, I had to have my husband put on his work boots and pose for me as I took photos of him in a squat position. It's impossible to remember how feet and legs are positioned in a squat, haha. It was interesting trying to figure out how to get my sketch onto the fabric, too. The transfer paper I have from my clothing sewing days is about 20 years old and didn't work, so I traced the design onto tracing paper and used a bright yellow watercolor pencil that was very sharp to trace through the paper onto the fabric. Hum...well it worked.
We heard from Bryan (our son) on the answering machine two days ago...we're hoping he'll be back to his base in Germany soon from his Afghanistan deployment. The end of his 15 months tour will be late summer but it can take time to get them out of "theater" (I think that's how they say it). It took a lot of time to get them in, and it will take a lot of time to get them out. God bless our wonderful soldiers who are helping the women of Afghanistan to thrive in freedom and allowing the children to be educated. Our soldiers do so much more than we hear about on the news here.
I may have another post today. Until later...