Monday, May 10, 2010

String Mountains

For about a year I have had a sketch of a mountain quilt or wall hanging using the string method, and last night I finally started putting the quilt together.


I had to figure out block size and number of blocks, lay out the foundation fabric and then mark each foundation piece to show where sky and mountains would be. The direction of the string pieces also had to be marked on the foundation fabric. Numbering each piece helped, and I had to distinguish between mountain 1 and mountain 2. Doing all of this preparation made the fabric construction amazingly easy.


I still have one more block to make but this wall hanging has turned out so much better than I imagined...



The hand-dyed sky fabric really makes this quilt, I think. This is a very basic mountain quilt, but I have lots of other ideas, so I think this is the first in a series of mountain quilts.

Tomorrow I'll finish this top and it will become a sample tomorrow night for my Stretching the String program (lecture) I'll give to our home quilt guild, the Cotton Patch Quilt Guild, in Athens, GA.