Sunday, August 30, 2009
Thursday, August 27, 2009
Monday, August 24, 2009
The fabric under the pincushions is one of the over-dyed black pieces I worked on this week. This particular black dye has a blue hue, which I like much better than the red or green based black dyes. I'll get some better photos of those dyed fabrics tomorrow, but here's another one...
It's pretty obvious what the fabric looked like before I over-dyed it. Not so attractive "before", but lovely "after".
Saturday, August 22, 2009
Monday, August 17, 2009
Here are the results:
Foam brush and lightly diluted dye...
Sunday, August 16, 2009
Wonderful friends like the Killer Bees of Pensacola : (top left) Agnes, Ann, Jolene, Joyce, Eileen, Joyce, Anita (that's me), (bottom left) Barbara, Pat, Wynnell, Mary Elma and Dorothy.
Beautiful views: Perdido Key near the FloraBama line
Terrific show-n-tell by the Killer Bees
Dorothy's Louisiana bee's blocks
Dorothy's lovely rail fence with a star point.
And the Santa Rosa (County) Quilters Guild show-n-tell
These last two were my contributions to show-n-tell. These are variations on string quilts.
I have truly been blessed by participating in these two groups. I miss you all!
Monday, August 10, 2009
Ruth Powers made this lovely quilt entitled Lazy Afternoon in which the horses hugging each other. You know there was stiff competition because this quilt did not win a ribbon.
Sunday, August 9, 2009
I could enjoy some of the walking sites on my scooter. This scooter causes a stir everywhere we go...kids want one, and folks who have been in a cast before love the idea of it. It's a lot better than crutches (available at medical supply stores).
Sunday, August 2, 2009
This morning I started out dyeing fabric for my upcoming vendor booth at the East Cobb Quilt Guild Show (Sept. 18 - 20 in Marrietta, GA), so I decided to try another direct dye technique. I bought some Elmer's Gel School Glue and used it to make designs on fabric yesterday as discussed in a recent Quilting Arts Mag. article.
The glue dried overnight, and this morning I mixed a small amount of Procion MX dye solution with its fixative, soda ash solution, to make dye paint. Here's how the experiment turned out.
When it dries I'll rinse it with my other dyed fabrics to remove the water-soluble glue.
I have also been collecting fabrics for a string quilt for my nephew AJ's freshman year at RIT (Rochester Inst. of Tech.). Gotta start sewing because he moves into his dorm room on Aug. 30th! The school colors are orange and brown but some of the sports uniforms are orange and black, so I'll use all three colors for his quilt. These shirts from Goodwill (re-used fabrics can be wonderful) will go into the quilt to add a "male" touch...
And I found these fabrics in my stash...
The colors will blend in the quilt to make an overall look of orange, brown & black. That's the beauty of string piecing.
Duh, it just occurred to me that I can use this direct dye technique to add words and rough pictures to AJ's quilt! Fellow crafters and artists, this is why we write our ideas down!